Monday, August 2, 2010

Dating Advice - Yes, You CAN Meet Someone Online

On the rare occasion that I shamelessly promote myself chat about what I do in my spare time (other than taking off my clothes and conducting a war against glitter) I've had quite a few people respond with disbelief when I mention Yes, Yes You Can Meet Someone Online.


It's no secret that 'online dating' is suffering from an outdated stigma of creepy pedophiles or stinky otaku mouthbreathing onto their computer screens from their parent's basement. Hell, some of my past dates underline that stereotype.* The fact is, however, with social networking being such a way of life for many people, online dating has moved into the future.


You meet people where you spend a lot of your time, right? It's not only creepy nerds on the internet. Occasionally there're goodlooking ones! Sexy ones! Ones not in a basement!

So people meet, meet in person, date, and maybe even form a lasting relationship. It's not hard to believe, but some 'normal types' still have yet to grasp the legitimacy of the internet dating scene.

Now we have a fancy official piece of data to support it!

1 in 6 Marriages Met Online

Yoinked from Neatorama.com (I love this blog), this snippet links to a full .pdf study of the 'phenomena'.

Marriage Survey
• 17% of couples married in the last 3 years, or 1 in 6, met each other on an online dating site.
• In the last year, more than twice as many marriages occurred between people who met on an online dating site than met in bars, at clubs and other social events combined.
• Approximately twice as many recently married couples met on Match.com than the site that ranked second.

I hear the outcry now! BIAS! Oh god yes. The study was done by a well-known online dating site Match.com and while I cannot comment on the success one might get on this site (I only used free dating sites), it's worth consideration.

What do you think about online dating? Has it worked for you? Have you met any hilarious/hideous people?

* Also bold and italicize it. I don't deny creepy people online. There are also creepy people IRL.
Photo yoinked from GMTV.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails