Friday, May 6, 2011

Sucker Punch Review - G33KPRON Posts!

Remember when I went into the theatre with fangirlish glee, somewhere mid-March, and promised you all a review of Sucker Punch?

I suck. So here it is now.

The overall reaction to the movie from the critics and fanboy base was 'Meh' and frankly to them I give a glittery manicured middle finger.

What, you boys are having a hard time relating to women an action movie with no male lead characters? Who's surprised.

Yes the movie was shallow, largely centering around action and fire and explosions. It was also the only movie of its kind: Female ensemble lead with NO romance. It's basically a female version of The Expendables, minus the romance.

Here's a challenge: What other movies can you think of with strong female leads that aren't motivated by some dude?

Badass. Any questions?

Some people bring up the Angelina Jolie movie Salt when I mention a lack of female leads. FYI, it was written for Tom Cruise originally, and she's motivated by the husband's death (I think, I don't remembe.r It was a bad movie and I've already seen Bourne Identity*). Rarely has the Sucker Punch kind of movie been done before.

Not that I'm bitter or anything, but seriously? Your male action movies are so deep and meaningful. Who goes into a movie like Sucker Punch hoping for a deep and meaningful Oscar nominee? There are dragons and guns and knee socks in the trailer. This is female wish fufillment, just like superhero films for guys.**

And for the record, where are all the female pro movie critics? There's a serious lack in the field.

Jessica from G33KPRON shares my opinions on Sucker Punch, and is also a cool new site. Take a look, and comment here or there with your agreement or disagreement. She brings up the same points I've been harping on, and has a great quote from Mr. Snyder about the extended length of the director's cut. And a great quote from Jess herself:

"No damsel waiting for some jacked up, knight-in-shining-armor type to rescue her. These chicks are brutal, unflinching, and you believe every second of it."
Go. Discuss. I only hope for more female centered movies that don't end with a romance. We've got other shit to do.

EDIT: Bunnyhero on twitter linked me to this amazing in-depth review from Tor. Go, read it. Part 1 and Part 2. I love it. I love Tor, how did I miss this?!
"It amazes me how, even regarding a movie about women, straight men dominate the conversation."

~Red Herring

* The similarities are striking....except that BI was better.
** COOL female wish fufillment. If your wishes are more in the line of Twilight or Sex in the City I'm probably not your friend. Girls who want to fight dragons? Come chill.

3 comments:

  1. BEST REVIEW EVER

    I couldn't agree more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good points you make. I haven't seen the movie but in earnest it's because I heard bad reviews. From what I've know beyond some eye candy in terms of special effects and lots of tight costumes, the movie offers nothing. To make a credible female action movie, it needs to have a good story and dialogue. There's definitely a shortage of female action stars. Perhaps Urma Thurman in CKill Bill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review that helped me make my desicion...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails